Take a few simple measures to protect your personal information and reduce your chances of becoming a victim of identity theft.
- Make sure the website is secure—a padlock symbol should appear at the bottom of your browser.
- Check to see if the website has a privacy statement.
- Be sure to log off or log out after your session.
- Credit cards
- Only provide your account number when you are ready to purchase.
- Print and review your order confirmation.
- Check your account frequently to make sure no unauthorized transactions have occurred.
- Only open email from people you know.
- Be skeptical of email that asks you to verify account information or enter personal information into a pop-up window.
- Don't send personal information by email.
- Most fraudulent email contains spelling or grammatical errors. Don't respond to email with obvious mistakes.
- If the email refers you to a website, verify the site's certificate.
- Forward suspicious Citi® email to email@example.com.
- Don't use easily identifiable information such as your Social Security number or birthday.
- Use a mix of letters and numbers.
- Change your Passwords regularly.
- Don't share your Passwords with anyone.
- When You're Everywhere Else:
- Sign all new cards and put them in a safe place.
- Don't use an obvious number, such as your date of birth or phone number, for your PIN.
- Never carry your PIN with you or write it on the back of your card.
- Keep a list of account numbers in a safe place along with contact numbers and addresses. This information is crucial if you're reporting a problem to your creditors.
- Review your credit reports regularly. You can obtain a copy of your credit report from one of the following credit bureaus:
- Equifax: 1-800-685-1111
- Experian: 1-888-397-3742
- TransUnion: 1-800-916-8800
- Install anti-virus software and update it regularly with the most current version.
- Scan all files on your computer periodically for viruses.
- Install firewall software and update it regularly with the most current version.
- Remove sensitive information from your hard drive and place it on removable diskettes and CDs.
IdentityMonitor® now $12.95 per month